Sunday, October 30, 2005

Rock, Muses, and Miles again

Went to the St. John's Autumn Muse Rock Show last night. Rode up in Bindu's little scooterette (sneaked in the back way, didn't feel like parking across the road). Walked up to the back entrance and was told tickets were only available at the front. About turn, etc. As I'm walking around the show area I can hear Synapse going bananas on stage, with the vocalist screaming some deeply profound and cleverly worded epithets - namely "Fuck you, I hate you, Fuck you, I hate you!" in a dulcet contralto growl. Ah for that youthful angst again.

Hear someone running up behind me, turn around, and this little fella comes up to me. 'So sorry', he says, 'I'm really stupid for not recognizing you - you're Bruce Lee Mani of TAAQ, right? There's no need for you to buy a ticket, just come right in!'. He then goes on to apologise for all the other poor souls at the ticket counter who didn't recognize me either. I'm finding this really funny by now, so I thank him, and tell him I'll buy a ticket anyway, I know rock music isn't the most paying profession, but I can afford 75 bucks, etc, etc. He's resolute though. Brushes aside a curious security guard, and ushers me in the stage entrance and asks me to have a good time. Hands me a 'pass' and says I can come back out the same way. Ah, fame.

My wife sits by as I type this and helpfully mentions that now the next paragraph has to end with 'Ah' something. She's a dear, isn't she? Ah, marriage.

Chat with the Zero guys awhile and watch Synapse still being bananas. The drummer, quite an expressive chap, finds time in between his hyper double bass to flash us his tongue. What a tongue. I think he could have easily licked his eyebrows with it. Explains their matted look, maybe. Anyway, the band is quite tight now, and if you dig this genre, you'll probably enjoy their stuff. They seemed to be having quite a time of it on stage.

Walked up to the sound desk, exchange the usuals with Sanjay, Vinay, and the boys from Acoustic Control, as Zero tunes up.

They play a lot of their own stuff, some of the names I remember are 'Mariachi', a sort of latin-flavoured mid rocker, and their earlier 'hits' 'Not My Kind of Girl', and 'Lucy'. They're pretty good, tight four piece. Good guitar player, Sanjay Joseph, I think, formerly of Ezee Meat or some such. Didn't have such a great tone though. The usual sozzled sillies in the front rows had their shirts of, and were baying for Maiden or Metallica. Which they didn't get. They got Johnny B. Goode, and seemed happy. Go figure.

What is happening to live rock in this joint? There were probably 300 people there, all told, at what was once one of the biggest rock events in Bangalore. And the same old scenes play themselves out, in the same old tired fashion. As I walk out, I can see the shirtless soaks in front, soft white slug-bodies still quivering for their metal heroes. I can see the quiet drinkers at the back, the closed-eye palsy-dancers whose blood-brain barriers have long lost the fight, the few genuine music freaks evaluating evaluating, the faintly bored expressions at the main board, the small gaggles of girls. Shiny, empty food stalls. Same old same old. Sigh. Or should that be Ah, sigh.

There are times when one can despair. What's the point.

Miles now stands for many seconds without support. Only a matter of time for that first step now, we think. And then its miles to go, isn't it?

4 Comments:

At 10:10 PM, Blogger RTP said...

Bruce if the rock show frightened you, I would advise you not to visit the lesser passtimes of us noses-in-our-books types, the lit events. It will surely make you weep. Ah Cul-fests.

They aren't what they used to be, because with each successive generation of students the attention span drops by a few more seconds. I'll admit my batch didn't rock the world either, but I cringe when I see what passes for talent this year.

Yay miles. So I guess that's more s(miles) all round.

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger RTP said...

Ps, Do try and visit blogs of people outside of the rock music community also, such as that of your ex-roadie and present student.

 
At 5:49 AM, Blogger Avalonian said...

RTP, are u dabblin in six string business now? Good choice!..

as for The Bruce, *sigh* I know what it's like to lose a slide and have it dismissed as a mere 'kundham' by my father! But haven't found the time or dough to replace it, even though I've been here for months..must get round to it. My love to Miles. I can't wait for a Miles-Kia duet, will be a groovin' funkfest!

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger nib said...

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! I know it's a sad day for Bangalore rock and all but a good laugh is hard to come by when you're married to Sunil Chandy :) Really enjoyed this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home